Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Giving in to the Hot-n-Fresh

This was our day to bring snacks after the T-ball game. I had mentioned previously how every other parent on our team assigned to snacks this season had brought doughnuts – which I don’t mind my son eating on occasion – but the “good mother” in me thought I had better bring some healthy snacks. I had several people tell me that I should not worry about the team’s 4-0 winning streak, and just bring some fun, healthy snacks. Rick, however, suggested we not mess with a trend. You know, like how after Alabama started winning last fall and we were afraid to wear different shirts than what we wore the previous week for fear our wardrobe would somehow affect the outcome of the game. But this game was different. For one, Coach Todd was busy this Saturday so assistant coaches Craig and Rick had to run the game. This stressed Rick out because he was assigned the lineup, something he put a considerable amount of thought into. He didn’t want Coach Todd to find out his team had lost in his absence. Rick wanted to give each of the kids an opportunity to play different positions. But he also wanted to be sure not to favor our son with a prime position, like pitch or first base. And so Rick woke up early the day of the game to map it all out. I didn’t want to worry Rick with the big snack decision. He had too much on his mind. So once the boys dropped off at the field, I got in the car and drove my arse clear to the next town. (It’s not that far, really. Birmingham is made up of 30-plus municipalities – and it’s kind of like standing on the Four Corners. You hop to the left and you’re in one town, and step to the right and you’re in another.) I drove up to Krispy Kreme and I was obviously not the only person with the doughnut plan. I bought a dozen and a half of “chocolate sprinkles” and off I went I’ll admit T-ball isn’t usually a nail-biter, but by the end of our hour Jonathon’s Mom and I were in knots. The mighty Cards were falling two points behind the Yanks when the ump said there was time for one more inning. I can’t remember the last time I cheered so loudly at a game. In the end, the Cards scored three more runs and the game was called.Our Cards remain the lead team in the league at 5-0. After the usual hand-slaps and hoorays, the kids ran over to me and got their doughnuts. At that moment, after clinching an elusive win, doughnuts seemed more than appropriate. I had enough left over that some kids – including Truman – had two. The team washed their sugary snack down with a soda and then hit the playground. An hour later, as we made our way back to the car, Truman didn’t relish his team’s win. Instead, he mumbled, “I’ve got a tummy ache.” Photos, JWJourney Share and Enjoy: Post from: Blisstree Giving in to the Hot-n-Fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment